Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Purse Construction


Our power was off all day yesterday, so I had to put off the assembly of my beaded-knitting purse. Thankfully it came back on about 7 pm, so today I could get on with the job.

I'm going to show how I put the purse together, step by step, as a record, so that I won't have to go through the same thought process when I make a full size bag.
Step 1 was to measure the beaded knitting, length and breadth. I then cut a piece of stiff interfacing to those measurements, and a piece of satin lining 1.5 cm bigger all round
On my first attempt, I ironed the interfacing to attach it to the satin, but that made a horrible, bubbly mess, so I cut another lot and just sewed the edging in with my sewing machine.

The next step was to make the gusset, twice the length of the small edge of the bag, and a few centimetres wide after hemming:
I folded the gussets in half and hand sewed them to the larger piece to form the bag lining:
I then attached the bead work to the outside of the lining, using quilting clips to avoid pin marks on the satin
I had to experiment to find the best way to sew the beaded knitting to the lining. Eventually I decided that back stitch with the knitting selvage showing worked best. I still have to sort a fastening out. I hope to use a magnetic clasp for the clutch bag, but for this purse I'll probably use a press stud. So that's it, I should be able to do that again with a full size bag.


9 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty purse! Well done :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful. I have put learning how to do beaded knitting on my to do list

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks far too pretty to use! I love the continuation of the pattern of the two sections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome!!!! :) I love the design!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag looks great! Thank you so much for the instructions, maybe one day I will make a bag for myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another excellent tutorial and great product !!!

    Just a thought - would some sort of an outlining along the edge look good ? eg a crochet chain or a string of small beads ... you know like a substituts for fabric piping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does need some sort of finish. I tried folding the selvege in but that distorted the beads. I’ll have to give it some thought!

      Delete
  7. Maybe little tiny rings and chains 😃on the edge, but it's great the way it is. Better yet a tassel 😁

    ReplyDelete