Thursday, May 3, 2018

Do Over

My neighbour Dorie says if you have a knitted garment that is unsatisfactory, unravel it and knit something wearable! Sounds sensible put that way. While I'm sorting out Jack's Winter wardrobe, I thought I might apply Dorie's principle to a sleeveless pullover that hasn't been worn for years because the neck and armholes are too big and saggy. I bought the wool when we were on holiday in New Zealand in 2010.
I had some trouble undoing it, until I remembered that I knitted it downwards, starting at the shoulders and knitting in the round below the armholes, to get as much length as possible with my limited yarn. So I had to start unraveling from the bottom!
Right. I started knitting, using 'mistake rib' - an odd number of stitches, knit 3, then p2, k2 to the end, every row the same. I'm knitting it crinkles and all, after reading recently that washing the work after knitting will smooth it out.


6 comments:

  1. I remember my mom unraveling sweaters that we no longer wore so that she could reuse the yarn. Of course back then she only knit with wool. I'm not sure the acrylics would hold up to such treatment. However, a beautiful wool deserves a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, you are amazing!
    Katie V in NC USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it will look fabulous like all the other things you do!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom told me that my grandmother bought socks and unraveled them to crochet my bedspread. Yarn was a very rare commodity back then, much like everything else...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gentle luke warm bath and blocking will as always do their magic and your yarn will never tell anyone it came from a frogged knitted fabric!
    That's a lovely stitch you're using, a nice change from the traditional k2, p2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure the wool will fall into place with a wash, a good recycling idea.

    ReplyDelete