Saturday, August 30, 2014
dragonflies that I made was a poor, pathetic creature with mangled wings. So I did two more using double double stitch for the wings. The problem is that it makes the wings rather too substantial for dragonflies. So this morning I tried to follow Corina's tips for tatting large rings with ordinary double stitches. I made a very large loop of thread, winding the excess round my little finger, so that I wouldn't have to enlarge the loop from the shuttle. And I tried earnestly to close the ring moving only the core thread and not the stitches themselves. Hmmm. Better than the first one, but could probably use more practice. Thanks for the help, Corina.
Friday, August 29, 2014
here. My advice would be to practise the techniques involved before starting. I read Corina's instructions for the beaded 'diamond' in the split rings and thought, oh yes. But when I came to actually do them, I wasn't sure how to position the final bead. I had done the 'stacked' beads used for the feelers before, though on a chain rather than a ring. I also had to remind myself of the double double stitch. On my first, no second, attempt, I used ordinary rings for the wings and they are twisted and horrible. Double double stitch works better. On this one, I messed up the final ring and had to cut it off. Few more attempts and I'll get it!
Thursday, August 28, 2014
Umi and Tsuru blog and Fox of tat-ology are planning to tat my Under an African Sky doily and have issued an invitation to others to tat along with them. The pattern is here or there's a link on the right hand side of this blog.
Helen has completed a third version of the doily:
Helen has completed a third version of the doily:
Wednesday, August 27, 2014
this one before deciding to use a pattern I've knitted several times before. It's called Branching Out, designed by Susan Lawrence. It's not a difficult pattern, but I just love the way different methods of decreasing stitches results in leaves and vines that go this way and that.
Monday, August 25, 2014
dyed last week. Spring colours. Winter is trying to hang on, we've had frost every morning since Friday. But Spring is creeping up anyway. The nectarine tree is in flower:
Saturday, August 23, 2014
Friday, August 22, 2014
Thursday, August 21, 2014
I want to spin another three ply multicolour yarn - pink, green and natural. So I needed to dye the pink and green before spinning. First step was to weigh out 100 g wool.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
Monday, August 18, 2014
Cornelia I can tell you that this bookmark appeared in the Burda magazine. Problem solved, thanks Cornelia. When I put a picture of the bookmark in In Tatters, Lynn said that she thought a spiral or node stitch/Victorain sets tail on a bookmark was a mistake because it could make marks on the pages. Oh goodness. I don't want to damage books. So I've done these with a lock stitch chain. It looks especially good on the multicolour ones, but even in one colour it makes a pretty tail.
Saturday, August 16, 2014
Friday, August 15, 2014
Thursday, August 14, 2014
here. Or on my sidebar, Jane's Bookmark Cross by Grace Tan. Grace adapted it from my Jane's bookmark pattern. Personally I think she doesn't take enough credit for the design, my input was just the beginning!
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
Jessica bookmark. My idea was that the top one would look like little red flowers in between green vines, while the second one would look like big red flowers with yellow centres. Not sure if that happened, but I do like the pattern very much.
her blog so that we can all use the pattern. This neat square forms the basis of the collar. I don't want to make the collar, not at the moment anyway, but I thought that a few squares joined together would make a nice bookmark. Yesterday Ninetta gave instructions for triangles that form points of the collar. I thought a pointed end would finish the bookmark off well.
Monday, August 11, 2014
i start my row 1 with ring then split ring before doing scmr, and i put marker on my first ring. and on round 7 i attach the rosette alternately to be able to finish earlier because i only have to do one join. that is why i spent only 10 days with my second doily.
10 days, wow. Here's a photo Helen sent to show her row 1:
Saturday, August 9, 2014
Friday, August 8, 2014
here. I left the beads off, just because I don't like to put beads inside a book in case they damage the pages. I did my own thing for the motif at the end of the tail too. The first time I made this bookmark, I told Jane I couldn't get the motif at the end to lie flat - of course it's not supposed to lie flat! Ah.
Thursday, August 7, 2014
Needle 'n' Thread, but I couldn't find a good way to transfer it to the thick, fluffy flannel. I found this tatted A designed by Lisa Trumble here. It works perfectly to personalise the wrap.
Wednesday, August 6, 2014
here on Rosmademe's blog. The original is a normal scarf, I turned it into an moebius scarf by twisting it and grafting the ends together ( note how casually I write that!).
Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Monday, August 4, 2014
Friday, August 1, 2014
tutorial, she starts the braid by encapsulating five threads with the sixth and then tying a knot to make a loop. I thought of starting the same way, adding a bead at the end. Then I had a brainwave that it would be easier to start with the bead and hide the ends by encapsulating them. I was looking for the right bead when I came across my button box. Ah, a button might work better than a bead. So, I wound three shuttles, passed the threads through the button, then wound another three shuttles on the other side, tied an overhand knot and began to braid. At the end, I encapsulated five threads with the sixth to make a loop for the button to go through.