Saturday, June 8, 2013

Necklace and Earrings

 The internet was off all morning, but now that it is back on, I can show you the completed necklace. I made some twirly earrings using the same thread (Jess's Little boy blue) and little turquoise beads. I made the earrings with only three rows instead of four. They're still as twirly as ever and I think having fewer beads will   help them keep their shape. The technique for the earrings is Patty Dowden's hyperbolic tatting but here's what I did:

Earrings
Thread a handful of seed beads onto the ball thread and, say, 2 metres thread on the shuttle, CTM.

1st Row: Make a chain vsp 2, vsp 2 until there are 16 very small picots. Make 2 second half stitches unflipped and then turn the work.

2nd Row: On this row, make a vsp after every 2 ds, and join after every 3ds. So it will go 2 vsp 1 +, * 1 vsp 2 +, vsp 2 vsp 1+ , repeat from * to the end of the row. Make 2 second half stitches unflipped, turn.

3rd Row: Work the third row the same as the previous one, but put a bead in place of each picot.

Finishing: At the end of the row, make a ring with the shuttle thread, hiding the chain thread inside and adding an earring hook to the top of the ring.

NB When working hyperbolic tatting,  keep the tension tight and the picots as small as possible.

5 comments:

  1. I love your necklace and earrings, I must ry your earring pattern, as it looks so beautiful. thanks for sharing the pattern.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your necklaces Jane. So pretty. I've just printed the pattern and made a few repeats. I hope I'll find the time to make a whole one eventually.

    ReplyDelete