Monday, August 26, 2013

Untested Advice

 Heather of Tatted Treasures wrote here about the difficulties of tatting with beads on a shuttle. I suggested making mock rings so that the beads can be kept on the ball thread. But when I wrote that, I hadn't actually tried it out. Frivole's Christmas Tree edging was a good candidate for testing the idea. It works fine. I used self closing mock rings.  I couldn't leave the bare space the pattern called for. I started by making a chain 1-1, but later realised it would be better to do two encapsulating stitches in place of the bare thread. It certainly is easier to work with the beads on the ball thread rather than the shuttle thread.

9 comments:

  1. I know what you mean although I do prefer the beads on the shuttle, it's a pain when they get in the way.
    Looking lovely piece of tatting and love the colour,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are clever, Jane. This is a super idea, one that never would have occurred to yours truly!
      Fox : )

      Delete
    2. Fox, the idea came from doing the trellis doily!

      Delete
  2. When I started tatting with beads I watched a video from Toptattyhead called tatting demonstration, on YouTube for a long time I never put beads on any shuttle or thread till it needed it. Then when Mary did her shuttle bag I ended up make shuttles and selling them,that were those larger shuttles and melting a hook in them. but I really enjoy first love of adding them as I go. Sorry I went on so and love the red, so nice all by it's self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for the shuttle bag I think it's essential for have the beads on the shuttle. Seems to involve a lot of winding and unwinding when the beads are on the shuttle!

      Delete
  3. I haven't done much with beads, but I will keep your suggestion in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now you have tested your advice! It makes a lot of sense; I will remember it for the right occasion...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know there are various ways of adding beads!

    ReplyDelete