Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Monday, March 29, 2021
I love the little picoty flowers on this round. I saw someone else's round 10 on Facebook and noticed that their alternating chains were different from each other. Oh gosh, had I misread the pattern? I checked, and no, the stitch count for all the chains is the same. I think they must've blocked it like that.
Thursday, March 25, 2021
A friend asked me to convert two beach wraps/sarongs into more wearable cover ups. She gave me a sample to copy. It's a simple shape, so it was easy enough to trace round it onto the fabric. Then I used this tutorial to remind myself how to make bias binding to neaten round the tops and form the straps. This is the second one. I did the other one last week and gave it to Phyl without taking a photo.
Tuesday, March 23, 2021
Monday, March 22, 2021
Well, I sold a couple of items at the market on Saturday, enough to cover costs, if not make my fortune. I think that once again there were more sellers than buyers, a sign of the times, but the venue was pretty, the weather pleasant and I enjoyed the day.
I'm now working on round 9 of the Spring doily.
This is a 'suspended' round, clearly waiting to be joined to the next one.
At 12-12 the rings are too big for me to use my usual method of avoiding enlarging the ring by removing fingers! Instead I'm working half the ring in that way, then letting the shuttle dangle and increasing the thread around the hand before doing the second half. That way I only have to pull thread once.
I had some thread left on the shuttle from round 8. Rather than unwind it, I used the 'false CTM' method - I tied the shuttle to the ball and then wound some more thread onto the shuttle so that the knot would be further along and I wouldn't have 4 threads at the beginning/end of the round.
I promise to measure the doily when this round is complete. Picotsnkeys asked me how big it was after round 8, but I didn't answer her.
Thursday, March 18, 2021
Our lockdown has been eased and things are beginning to normalise. I'm going to a market on Saturday. At the last market, it was a little disconcerting to see people walk past my stall without even seeing it! Clearly I need something to catch their attention. I got inspiration here and there, experimented some, chucked out this idea and that idea... Eventually I've come up with this:
I also covered a couple of boxes of different sizes in grey fabric to put bracelets on:
Good thing Jack's shirts were in a colour that lends itself to the job so I could use the scraps. Anyway, I hope this market is more successful than the last one I did, even if only in terms of holding interesting conversations!
Tuesday, March 16, 2021
Monday, March 15, 2021
Friday, March 12, 2021
Thursday, March 11, 2021
Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Tuesday, March 9, 2021
Saturday, March 6, 2021
I unraveled the four rows of the second flower shown in the previous post, altered the pattern to shift everything by one bead and then redid the four rows. I think it looks better, the second row of flowers better centred between the flowers of the first row. So I shall continue with the flower as set.
Thursday, March 4, 2021
After yesterday's post, I redrew the pattern, shifting the second row of motifs by three beads. I think that, in my usual fashion, I've gone too far. It should have been two beads. Back to the drawing board. I have a long list of things to do today so it might not get back to it yet. But you can see where I'm going with this.
Wednesday, March 3, 2021
There were interesting comments on my post about the time it takes to make one of these bags. I wasn't lamenting the time taken, of course, merely tallying it. None of the crafts I do produce results in a hurry!
I'm going to make another bag in this pattern and try to position the flowers more as I originally envisioned. It might require trial and error because the bias effect and the discrepancy between graphed pattern and reality boggle my mind.