Friday, May 25, 2018

Marmalade

The oranges on the little tree on the front lawn are ripening rapidly.
Time to make marmalade. I don't have a really big pot for jam making, so I had to 'make a plan'. I cooked the peel until it was soft, then drained it, added sugar to the liquid, and cooked that to jell point.

 I used a digital thermometer, a first for me. Since the recipe seemed to have a few inaccuracies, I checked online that it was right about the temperature for jell point - everyone said 105 degrees Celsius, so I aimed for that. Then I mixed the two and bottled it. I finished up with 3 and a half jars. I reused jars that  originally had pepperdews in them, if anyone is wondering why it says 'hot' on the label!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, just showed hubby your orange laden tree and he was so impressed -- what a lovely life being able to pluck fruit & veggies from ones own land :-D
    Your marmalade looks yummy, although I prefer preserves with those little pieces of fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious Jane. I love home made marmalade. Sadly my marmalade making days are long gone now. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been busy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Orange Marmalade looks delicious. I have a friend who makes Lemon Marmalade also. Very yummy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made marmalade! Yours looks wonderful. One of my daughters-in- law loves spending time in her kitchen and last time I visited her in Canberra I enjoyed homemade blackberry jam for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so yummy. My mom always made jams but we had to buy our fruit from the market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your marmalade looks yummy, never tried to make marmalade, what a pity you are so far away, I would love to try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! The best part of it: it's your own homegrown orange! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you have trees that give forth lemons and you make marmalade I love to pour it over chicken and bake it too!

    ReplyDelete