Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Monday, June 29, 2015
Saturday, June 27, 2015
Thursday, June 25, 2015
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
sample, working the small petals at the back in medium instead of dark. I think it works better.
Monday, June 22, 2015
Friday, June 19, 2015
Thursday, June 18, 2015
After I'd worked my sample, I read Mary Corbet's post Hand Embroidery Tips for Beginners and Beyond. I followed a link there to read about joining in new threads and realised I hadn't used the best method in my sample. I used the Away Waste Knot method, basically leaving a strand of thread that I sewed into the back of the work afterwards. It's a bit fiddly, especially with a small frame like mine, and wasteful of thread. So now I'm following Mary's instructions for anchor stitches on a line. I make a few small stitches of back stitch that will be covered by the subsequent chain stitch.
The stitches should be closer together, but even so I can see the method is effective and uses up less thread. So, I've learnt something, thanks Mary.
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
The pattern doesn't specify an individual designer, just 'Drops Design Studio', but whoever wrote the pattern must've given a lot of thought to how to explain all this in a succinct way. I think they did a pretty good job. Basically, the processes are given separately and the knitter must put them all together.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Then I used a running stitch to mark the half way lines of the fabric:
Monday, June 15, 2015
Saturday, June 13, 2015
Friday, June 12, 2015
this page of her blog muskaan writes about earrings and has a link to a pdf copy of the pattern. They're quite tricky, with curled rings and two layers, but it's a small project, so I think I'll redo it and see if I can get a neater result.
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
And here's the yarn, so I'm all ready to begin:
Sunday, June 7, 2015
I cut a piece of fabric 20 cm square, steamed it and measured it again. It was still 20 cm in one direction but only 19 cm in the other. So the fabric must be shrunk before use.
I traced a flower from the corner of my pattern, using a pencil. The pencil lines faded rather rapidly. I'm glad I discovered that before I traced out the whole pattern! I think a black ballpoint pen might work better than a pencil.
I used three related shades, but I rather think that the dark and medium are too close to each other. A lesson for when I choose colours for the real thing. This flower makes me think of waterlilies, so I'm thinking of choosing waterlily colours.
When I started working the chain stitch, I had to change my thinking from lazy daisy type chain to chain stitch as a filling stitch. In lazy daisy, you want a space to show in the middle of the stitch, but when filling, you're trying to cover the fabric completely. Corlie, leader of the craft group I belong to, showed me how to tug the thread and then if necessary use a thumb nail to squidge the stitch together. I concentrated on that and on getting the lines of stitches close enough together to cover the fabric.
No doubt I have a lot more to learn, but I think I learnt quite a bit from this flower.
Saturday, June 6, 2015
Friday, June 5, 2015
I practised a bit of chain stitch and then looked for a pattern that would work for an evening bag. This one will take an awfully long time, but I think it might work. I like the symmetry of the design and the possibility for shading.
I found it on Mary Corbet's Needle 'n' Thread blog. There's a link to the blog on the left hand side of this page. In spite of the fact that I do very little embroidery, I'm a great fan of Mary's blog and read it regularly. She does amazing work herself, and is generous with information about techniques and patterns. This is not Mary's own design, but follow the links and you can find the pattern and the story about the Hungarian graphic artist called Lilly who designed it. Mary named it Circus Pods! (Her exclamation mark.) I bought some calico today. I plan to trace a small corner of this design onto a bit of the fabric and have a go at filling it in with chain stitch.