Round 15 is the same as round 14. Worked in one colour, they combine to interesting effect. So far I've been working my quota, 5 repeats a day.
Jack said that my sheets hanging on the line were a bit see-through. So I looked up on my blog to see when I made them. Here's the entry here. It's dated January 2013, so no wonder the sheets are getting a little thin! The other two pairs were made two years later, as I can also see from my blog. Years ago, Black Rose sheets used to proclaim in large letters across the packaging that they were guaranteed for ten years. I've often wondered what would happen if you went back after eight years and demanded your money back! Mine have no such guarantee, but I think they could well hold out for ten years.
I was so excited about finishing round 13 on schedule that I joined the last ring to the wrong picot on the first repeat. Oh woe. Luckily I noticed before I cut the ends and sewed them in. I undid the last chain no problem, but really struggled to open the ring. Eventually I cut the shuttle off, leaving a long enough thread to finish the round, and undid the stitches one by one. Anyway, round 13 is now done. I'm leaving my thread markers in place so I can pace round 14 too. The doily measures 38 cm, 15 inches, across. I'm a little tempted to leave it like that because round 13 makes a good edging, but no, I'll go on.
I bought exactly the right amount of fabric for the ten shirts. That's more good luck than good judgement, I have to say. Luckily most of the shirts were small sizes so I could fit the back and front pattern pieces next to each other across the fabric. These last two shirts are large, so I had to put the pieces sequentially, which uses up the roll of fabric very rapidly! I still have to iron these two, but really the job is done. Oh, and after 45 buttonholes, I think I have that process down pat, if nothing else.
Round 13 is a little daunting at first glance - that's a lot of tatting to do in a week. I counted the number of flower repeats on Renulek's photo; there are 32. So if I tat five repeats a day, plus two on the last day, I'll be there. Right. That sounds manageable. I've reached the target for Thursday and Friday - so far, so good.
I usually just work from my iPad screen or draw myself a little sketch with the stitch count, but this row is complicated, with a lot of different numbers, so I printed it out. Still, it's straight forward enough and after a few repeats I had grasped those numbers.
These are shirts seven and eight. The last two sets of shirts needed to be slightly different to the others to signify the wearers have a different role in the organisation. Right. Originally I thought I'd make them in a different colour, but the restrictions of the wholesale fabric shop meant that I'd have to buy an awful lot of extra material to do that. Plan B was to make them in a single colour, without the contrasting pocket flaps and collars.
I bought two packets which is not quite enough for all the shirts. But it has certainly saved me a lot of scratching like a hen looking for grain!
I delivered the first four shirts yesterday. The lady who ordered them was delighted. I hope her staff are too. I'm working on the next one, which has much the same dimensions as the last one, except that it's 30 cm (a foot!) longer. Either the man is very tall or he likes his shirts long. Or both perhaps.
I've made a start on round 12. Little cats with whiskers. Or bilbies perhaps with ears so large.
We had our first covid vaccinations this morning. Have to go back in 28 days for the second one.
The first set of shirts I made was a lot smaller than Jack's pattern, but uniformly so. The second set of measurements has shoulders the same as the pattern but chest a lot smaller. Hmmm. For the first one, I reduced the pattern at the centre and adjusted the neckline. For the second, I took off at the side seams and then redrew the armholes. For the second set, I have to move the pockets towards the centre, opposite to the previous size. At least after the first shirt, I'm aware that the pockets might need to be shifted. Onward, onward, I hope to get the fourth shirt finished today.