Thursday, May 10, 2018

Prepare To Crochet

The brief for the crochet section of competitions for the women's organisation I belong to, is to crochet a top suitable for evening wear. Right. I managed to buy mercerised cotton when we went to Kimberley a few weeks ago. It was a bit of a mission because there were two shelves with a muddle of sizes and colours and I had to sift through them to find 10 balls in the same size and colour.
The next step was to look for a pattern. I found hundreds of crochet tops on Pinterest. Some of them didn't have patterns or charts, some of them were completely unsuitable, but even so, there was plenty of choice. After a lot of dithering, I printed out a couple of patterns and crocheted samples using a 2 mm hook. It seemed to me that the fabric was a bit too loose and loopy, so yesterday I looked for a smaller hook. I couldn't find 1.5 mm, but I did get a 1 mm hook. I worked another sample of the pattern I'm leaning towards, and I do think it looks better:
So now I have the beaded knitting project and the crochet top 'ready to roll', but a certain reluctance to get on with them! The deadline is many months away, but I don't want to leave things to the last minute and if I want to enter other sections too, I had better just dive in.

7 comments:

  1. This is going to be good. I wonder what you do with all your beautiful samples. You should put them in a fabric book and place it on your coffee table then I will drop by and visit and chat about each one. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d like that! They float around for a while and then get thrown out when I tidy up.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I just know it's going to be gorgeous!!! Fabulous color and such a pretty design!!! :) Suggestion, just start. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colour and pattern !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color and the pattern! I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pattern and definitely the 1mm sample. This will be Tres Chic.

    ReplyDelete