Monday, May 9, 2016

Mock Rings

Motif 11 is a little daunting because the rings in the outer row are so large -  37 ds. I had some thread left on the shuttle after the second round, so I did some experimenting. I tatted a normal ring, self closing mock ring and two mock rings joined to an inward picot at the start. Two of the true mock rings because even though it's the best option, you have to be careful to snug the ds up as you go, not wait until the end of the chain before pushing them along. I think the experimenting paid off, I was more confident by the time I tackled the outer round. Here's a photo of the start of a mock ring, with a safetypin holding the inward picot open:
I used the shoelace trick to change the direction of the chain before starting the mock ring. The chains themselves are long too, and there again it's important to snug the stitches up as you go.

12 comments:

  1. Good handy tips and a very beautiful motif !!!
    Patty Dowden's technique of working with large rings works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't worked much with mock rings... more to add to my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very pretty! Do the instructions tell you to use mock rings or SCMR or did you decide on your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my idea,just because large rings tend to get distorted.

      Delete
  4. Motif 11 is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous motif!! You did a wonderful job on it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very smart idea, and a few years ago I remember bloggers upset with some rings that were too large and some even mentioned double stitch count to stay under :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider double stitches but I think this looks more natural.

      Delete
    2. I'm confused. Could you explain please ?

      Delete
    3. Well, I just think the ring made with double double stitches would look bulkier than the chains. I think that's what Carrolyn means, rather than doubling the number of normal ds. But perhaps it's me that's confused!

      Delete