Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I Give Up

I'm a wimp, I know it. I've unpicked the satin stitch on my Schwalm embroidery and done the leaves in buttonhole stitch and bullion stitch instead. I do know that the answer to mastering satin stitch is regular practice. My erratic application just doesn't do it! I have finished the embroidery now:
It's far  from perfect, but I'm following the Marietjie principle. Marietjie is one of the other pupils in my embroidery class. She suggested that instead of stressing about perfection, we should aim to learn from the comments of the judges in the competition. I have a lot to learn.

13 comments:

  1. I find it had to believe they wouldn't say anything but wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you have made this! - it looks perfect and beautiful. But I suppose if you have been learning a new technique, you are always aware of imperfections. You shouldn't be! - it's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that when I gave up, the results were so lovelyM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it turned to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The embroidery is lovely. If you're not quite happy with it, remind yourself that there *is* a learning curve and the next piece will be even better. Allow yourself to enjoy the process and enjoy the piece you've finished, whether you think it's 'flawed' or not. As I mentioned above, it's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks very much for your support! You're all very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good to me but we learn by practice and the next piece will be better, well done with this piece
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing to me, Jane! I have said it before and I shall say it again... You are one courageous woman!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pursuit of perfection can ruin the enjoyment of the experience. I think your Schwalm embroidery looks beautiful, and I like your friend's approach to finishing the piece. I'll be interested to read the judges' comments!

    ReplyDelete