Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My New Mission

It's good news that the South African women's organisation I belong to is sticking with tatting for next year's competition. This year a bookmark was required, next year a doily. Not such great news is that the description they give of tatting is very old fashioned. In my opinion, anyway. 'The design is compiled of rings, chains and picots'. Not a word about split rings, self closing mock rings or floating rings, let alone clunies or celtic tatting! 'Picots and spaces must not be too large'; 'Long single threads are impractical'. You get the picture. I think this is a shame, and not conducive to the stated aim of giving attention to a craft to 'ensure it does not disappear'.

I'm going to do one doily that conforms to all these criteria. It comes from a 1971 Coats pamphlet.
 And then I plan to tat a doily that is a bit more modern in appearance and one that uses more modern techniques. I haven't found the right pattern yet, but tatting this one will give me plenty of time!

9 comments:

  1. I like your first choice! - what about one of the Burda patterns for the more modern design, since lots of those use block tatting. Or you could try Linda Davies' New Year Doily with the clunies and split chains. It's a lovely design, but not one I could attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well even if this pattern is old fashioned it does look spectacular. I am like you really fussy now on what I wish to tat especially something that needs to have a pleasing result. Look forward to seeing both the doilies in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very pretty and if those are apples, this looks like a large doily! Maybe switching colors around to bring out the flowery shape will help!
    It's does sounds fun to have a club like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be gorgeous I am sure!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the second doily I ever made. I think we must have the same Coats pamphlet! I really like that doily and, even though it looks complex, it's really pretty easy. It's a shame the rules are so strict, maybe they need some shaking up -- I hope your other choice does that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty doily you have selected. If they are so very old-fashioned, I wonder if you would stand a better chance of winning the competition if you use white thread throughout (on the 'old fashioned' one). The more modern ones could be brilliant with color and bold design. You'll tat them all beautifully. Can hardly wait to watch your progress on the doilies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I must think alike as this is my next project too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... do your doilies have to be white or ecru? Colour would be another good way to be non-traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure I tatted this doily just after I learned. It's a lovely pattern and I look forward to seeing your doily when it is finished. I am off to find the doily in the draw.
    How about one of Jan's doily patterns for the other one.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete