Monday, February 24, 2014

Two New Tatters

 Yesterday Linda and Willa came to my house for a tatting lesson. I've shown Linda the double stitch before, but Willa is completely new to tatting. They're going to practice the double stitch for a couple of weeks and then come back to learn the next stage. That's great. So often people expect to learn tatting in one lesson. I gave them each a copy of Jane Eborall's lessons for beginners. I also tatted a rosette for each of them, with 9 rings and chains, and listed what they need to know in order to make it. They liked that. Willa said now she can show her husband what it is that she's learning.

7 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing people learning to tat, and knowing there is someone willing to try! Have taught both in one lesson and this is much better to see how you and Diane have explained it, it is easier to remember this way and not so overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right people do expect to learn tatting quickly. Out of my last batch of students one is coming on fine but unfortunately she has a full time job so I can't help her, but she is determined to keep going and has taken Jane's lesson plans and used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think perhaps determination is the key. I had only one 'lesson' to learn the double stitch and then figured out the rest from pamphlets and, later, the internet. Willa and Linda have to travel 50kms to reach me, so I figure that's a sign of determination in itself!

      Delete
    2. Gosh they travel 50 kms to reach you! Well impressed at their dermination to learn to tat. And of course yours too for finding out from other means how to progress with the skill.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy to see someone pinching the thread between the middle finger and thumb instead of the forefinger. I no longer feel alone!

    Congratulations to you and your new students! I hope the enthusiasm for tatting continues with your students and mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! As for the fingers, I explained to them that my way of holding wasn't pukka, but they elected to follow me. We all crochet, which I think may be why that hold feels right??

      Delete