Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Breaking

Breaking news? Breaking Bad? Breaking beads. I've discovered that I can use nail clippers to break beads when I have accidentally threaded too many. At first I struggled to break the bead without cutting the thread, but eventually I discovered how to pinch the thread to one side so that the clippers can act only on the bead and not the thread. Hooray. Jack was breaking beads for me with his Leatherman, but it's inconvenient for both of us for me to have to find him when I want a bead broken!

7 comments:

  1. I use nail clippers for cutting threads but would be scared SILLY to try it with the tiny beads. Very brave of you!!!! Maybe I'll experiment, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp, I wouldn't dare! You once shared a tip about breaking extra beads and since then I break mine with a flat, strong tweezers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the only way not to break threads but the beads is to use a crochet hook. Use whatever size hook fits through the bead an push it through, by grasping on both sides of the beads with your two index fingers. Make sure your other fingers are out of the way of the hook. This way the beads explode, outward, instead of inward and breaking threads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought of that! Thank you for sharing the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting conversation, I am counting beads accurately. I could cut the thread with a nail clipper. Maybe I will try to break the bead, just because I am a curious person. An exciting idea.

    ReplyDelete