Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Start Stitching

I spent some time researching smocking. I have pins with examples; tips and tutorials; even an interesting article about the history of smocking. There were some interesting side excursions, like learning about Canadian smocking, an entirely different, but interesting, beast. Eventually I had to actually start stitching.

I used this article to guide me in putting the gathering stitches in a piece of gingham:
I think it might have been better to use a more contrasting thread, even though I have the gingham lines to guide me.

I drew up the gather lines, possibly over enthusiastically:
The best tutorial I found for the different stitches used in smocking was this one from tipnut.com. I just worked my way down the examples, leaving out feather stitch, which didn't appeal. One thing I struggled with was starting and finishing. None of the tutorials explained how to begin or end! Luckily,  I did find an article from maggiebsmocks explaining how to start off. Finishing I had to figure out for myself.
I think it should now be blocked, I'll have to do more research on that.

11 comments:

  1. I am full of admiration! I have tried to learn how to do this, but somehow always managed to stitch the pleats together.It's definitely not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my efforts will encourage you to try again!

      Delete
  2. I've never done smocking, but I think it looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dresses had smocking on as a child, mother tired to trench me but I failed, yours is looking good, it’s not as easy as it looks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look like you went into the extreme smocking to me. And its beautiful well done🍃🌹🍃

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've done a great job Jane. I start with a knot, continental used for embroidery in the 80's and end the same, both at about the half way point on a pleat. I also use pin dot fabric but be sure the dots are square and on grain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Joan. I hoped an experienced shocker


      Thanks very much Joan. I hoped an experienced smocker would comment!



      Delete
  6. You have mastered it at the trial stage itself - at least to my inexperienced eyes !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I think I still have a long way to go!

      Delete