Thursday, March 21, 2019

First Steps

The 'floating' section for next year's competitions is smocking. The brief is to make a sun dress for a toddler. I don't know much about smocking, but I'm happy to learn! My first step was to look smocking up on Google. I came across definitions of things I'd rather not know about. And then there were links that took me down the rabbit hole that is Pinterest.

I recently read an anti-Pinterest rant on Facebook. It is true that it can be difficult to track down the origins of a specific image and that links often lead to collections that are not necessarily helpful. But I think Pinterest is marvelous, especially for researching a new craft topic. If one link leads nowhere, you can look for another. The 'more like this' section is useful for that. I have learnt a lot through Pinterest. I often come across crafts I've never seen before and then go off on a sleuthing trail. Anyway, there is a lot of smocking on Pinterest and I hope it will lead me to tutorials I can learn from.

One thing I saw there was smocking on gingham. I thought that might be a good place to start, so yesterday in town I went on the hunt for gingham. The fabric I found has squares that are on the small side, so this may be a misstep, but I'll see how it goes.

12 comments:

  1. I tried to learn how to smock once! so I will be following your journey with interest. One of the ladies doing the course with me told me that it used to be taught in schools here as recently as the early 70's. What a shame all of that has been jettisoned for computers and IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame that ‘domestic science’ subjects are no longer taught, but I guess there aren’t enough hours to teach everything. At least with a computer you can learn to sew!

      Delete
  2. My mom used to do lots of smocking, and I was always fascinated watching her. The end results were always gorgeous! I think she probably had me try smocking on gingham, but that would have been in middle school 55 years ago... or was it when my daughter was a baby? At any rate, it was long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of the floating section is to encourage a craft that is ‘dying out’. I wonder if your mum would think smocking was dying. Does she still smock?

      Delete
  3. I took an introduction to smocking in High School and that is where we started was with gingham fabric,my mom was fascinated and loved it. She when on to just dotting fabric and using it as a guide like the fabric. I can see you doing well with this. Later in life a I came across cardstock contraption that you slide fabric into to pleat and stitch. And then met a woman with a expensive machine that did tiny pleats very fun to see this contraption work. I so love manipulating fabric. Cant wait to see your work. Don't forget to pick through not to skip a square😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 thanks, I need all the help I can get.

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to learn it, but never got around. Eager to see your journey :-)))
    I saw that fb rant on pinterest and agree with you. What nobody pointed out - it is how you pin that is at fault! If pinned correctly, it should lead directly to the source.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what you do!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea what it was called but I have definitely seen something that looks like smocking on blouses and dresses. Am I right to think that the square pattern will help you keep the measurements even?

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the gingham I have ever seen was either 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady in the fabric shop said she thought the squares were too small for smocking, but looking at Pinterest since, I don’t think it’s a problem.

      Delete