Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Fiddle Faddle

When I showed Corlie my practice glasses case, she said she thought it needed some sort of padding or reinforcement. To protect the glasses, that makes sense. I thought I'd do a practice run before tackling the real deal. Just as well I did, because it turned out to be much more difficult than I visualised!. The first one, with a loose stiffener, is a lumpy mess. For the second one, I ironed the stiffener to the fabric. It's better, but adding the lining still resulted in lumps. A different approach entirely was required. For the third one I used felt. I used fusible web to fuse it to the fabric and the lining. All this has taken a lot of time and I'm still not sure I've got it right. Sigh. I don't think I'm a perfectionist at heart.

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain but I know you'll sort it to your liking in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen and brought some flat padding, which can be out into what ever shape you want. Sorry I don’t know what it’s called but you might find it online

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used felt to line eyeglass cases in the past. It worked out fine. But I didn't use any fuseable web and it worked out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try as I might, I always fail to achieve perfection! So, as one 'imperfectionist' to another, perfection is highly overrated ;-P
    Yup, sour grapes :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would advise using fusible fleece, but you could use the felt (or some quilt wadding), however, ONLY fuse it to the outer. You would be better making the outer and lining separately, leaving a turning gap in the lining, and then joining the two at the top. Have you googled free glasses case patterns? it's quite a simple one.

    ReplyDelete