Thursday, January 11, 2018

Forget Boring!

The time for handing in my crocheted beret and scarf for competition is rapidly approaching. I really need to finish the scarf. But, as I explained in this post, the scarf was so boring, I was finding it difficult to keep motivated. On Tuesday I was scrolling through Pinterest on my phone when I came across Embossed Leaves Reversible Shawl by Furl Crochet. Aha, that could be the very thing to solve my problem. The link said it was a free pattern, but I couldn't find the pattern. After some sleuthing I found this page on Bonita Patterns blog on how to do embossed crochet. It has a pattern for a hexagon in embossed crochet. I grabbed the nearest hook and wool and gave it a go. Once I understood the principle involved, I did a lot of scribbling and worked out a flat version that could work for a scarf:
I know that the judges, especially at National level, like traditional, conventional techniques.  I was  advised by the fundis not to get too carried away. But one of the reasons I enter competitions is to learn something and honestly I just couldn't hand in a boring brown scarf. So I took the plunge and yesterday evening unraveled my scarf. I was a little appalled at how much work I was destroying, but it's done now and I must get on with my new version forthwith!


8 comments:

  1. I am fascinated with the diversified with crocheting that I see on Pinterest I have a many works collected and you always get my interest up. Your so talented and i just need to work on understanding directions.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fun technique! I don't crochet much these days, but I have some ideas of projects I'd like to work on. I always enjoy seeing what you are trying out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s simply beautiful! So many ch better than the plain brown,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure it will be awesome!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally hand you the top prize for this design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks good, I've never tried this, in fact i don't think I've ever heard of it, will be looking it up and have a go.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This new scarf and beret will be stunning and designer unique which should definitely earn you a Blue Ribbon. You are the Master at learning new needle arts techniques. <3

    ReplyDelete