Friday, June 5, 2015

Mary Corbet's Pattern

I think that next time the cleaning bug bites, I'll lie down and wait for the affliction to pass! Anyway, time to begin a new project.

 I practised a bit of chain stitch and then looked for a pattern that would work for an evening bag. This one will take an awfully long time, but I think it might work. I like the symmetry of the design and the possibility for shading.

 I found it on Mary Corbet's Needle 'n' Thread blog. There's a link to the blog on the left hand side of this page. In spite of the fact that I do very little embroidery, I'm a great fan of Mary's blog and read it regularly. She does amazing work herself, and is generous with information about techniques and patterns. This is not Mary's own design, but follow the links and you can find the pattern and the story about the Hungarian graphic artist called Lilly who designed it. Mary named it Circus Pods! (Her exclamation mark.) I bought some calico today. I plan to trace a small corner of this design onto a bit of the fabric and have a go at filling it in with chain stitch.

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely pattern...... go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the blog/link. What beautiful work! Eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cleaning bug hasn't hit here, but the fact that a closet shelf just collapsed yesterday says I have no choice. Enjoy your day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also read Mary's blog, although embroidery is not something I've ever done with any degree of success. Another pursuit in retirement? Maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's what I learned in the Romanian Point Lace class I took a couple of years ago! - you have to trace the pattern, and then learn all the filling stitches. It will be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's interesting! Mary does say that the pattern can be used for a all sorts of techniques. It would be good to use a lot of different filling stitches, but the competition brief says it must be all chain stitch.

      Delete
  6. I'll be looking forward to your embroidery, Jane :-)
    I love Mary Corbett's site, too. So much to admire, get inspired, and learn !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pattern, yes a lot of work but could be a wonderful embroidery design
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marys' site has been in my favorites since forever. Her info is always good and she is very generous sharing. Are you familiar with Sue Spargo? Craftsy now offers a class on her form of embroidery and they are on sale starting today, another good resource and creative outlet. Have fun with this. It sounds like a fun challenge. I think I would vary the thickness of the chain stitch line with different numbers of thread strands to create interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I'll just have to check that using different thicknesses conforms with the rules. I'll look up Sue Spargo, thanks.

      Delete