Monday, May 5, 2014

The Pattern


The other day I was watching 'Call the Midwife', a TV series set in the late 1950s, and thought, I want a cardigan like that, but lacy. So I was delighted to find the Katharine Hepburn Jacket, designed by Kathy Zimmerman, amongst the free patterns on knittingdaily from Interweave Press. It fits the bill perfectly. As the blurb says, 'Kathy followed typical 1950s styling'. I expect to have to make adjustments to allow for the fact that I'm using handspun wool in place of the specified yarn. But according to my swatch, I should be able to use the figures for the smallest size in order to get the measurements for the second size. I hope it's that simple, but I may need to make adjustments to the armhole and top of the sleeve.

7 comments:

  1. The series Call the Midwife has been a firm favourite here and I look forward to seeing your cardigan
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Call the Midwife. My mum was a midwife working in Rhodesia in the period of the programme and later, and some of my earliest memories are jogged by the series.

      Delete
  2. Wow I don't recall that show, but I love the fine needle you are using the knitting looks spectacular! And it is nice to find a pattern that works, so far anyway,it is always a happy thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite programs too! - and your handspun jacket is going to be wonderful, you're so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the cardigan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We started watching Call the Midwife because I thought there might be some good knitting to see - luckily it's also a great story, so now my boyfriend is hooked on it too. I'm dying to see how your cardigan turns out! I've had that pattern saved for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! All those cables. It's going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete