Thursday, May 29, 2014

Don't Cut the Ball Thread

I should've noticed when I wound the bobbin. I didn't. I tatted several rings before I realised that the new ball of green thread was size 40, not size 20.
That was last night when the light was bad and I was tired, so I left it until this morning to sort out. Once upon a time I would've just cut everything off and had four ends to hide. Of course it's not necessary to cut the ball thread.
I snipped the offending rings either side of the join, taking care to avoid the yellow picot and the chains.
Then I very carefully cut off the remains of the ring.
I put the hook under the core thread of the chain and pulled it out.
The ball thread is wrinkly but still intact, so I can just join in a new shuttle thread with only two ends to hide. Luckily I have another ball of size 20 green, so 'That's alright Best Beloved'.

6 comments:

  1. I know the feeling of being tried, I hope you have enough green to finish the round
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done the same thing and completely understand, I wet the string sometimes and that just makes me feel better :) Nice pictures and shows others how the one whole thread can be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the frustrations of mistakes!! But thankfully you didn't cut the ball thread too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you did'nt hurt the yellow picot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. :-) indeed! Just So Stories is my favourite book.

      Delete