Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Tree on button

 I thought it was about time I had a go at combining tatting and buttons. I actually struggled to find buttons with four holes in them. The manager of one shop told me she hates sewing 4-holers onto clothes, so she doesn't order them! After all that effort, I realised that the Christmas tree  doesn't require a four hole button anyway, though one can be used. The  pattern is, of course, Jane Eborall's and can be found here. The weight of the button helps the tree hang straight, but the pattern does have a version without a button. I made a wrong join which I only noticed when I was some way along and decided to ignore. I love the asymmetrical clovers, very clever.

9 comments:

  1. I have done any tatting with buttons, your tree looks lovely and with the button makes it look different, perhaps you should take it to the shop and show what you do with buttons and she might get you a few of four hole buttons.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, because she asked me and then looked a bit blank when I tried to tell her!

      Delete
  2. Oh I like it, and downloaded Jane's pattern too :) I do that too with some motifs and this seemed to work, it looks longer to me! And sometimes I will go to a thrift shop to buy a shirt,just to rip the buttons off! it's cheaper and if I through a shirt away I remove the buttons, I buy them to, I think I have a button problem:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did smile about your button problem! I used to buy a lot of buttons when I had a business making cardigans and jerseys. At last I'm beginning to run out of buttons and have to look at buying some.

      Delete
  3. I love this little christmas tree and it makes me want to get the tatting out again, I have so many other bits to finish I really didn't ought to.
    I couldn't agree more that the knitted suit is so, so ugly but it just tickled my sense of humour. lol
    Thanks for visiting my blog I hope you'll pop back at some time although at the moment I seem to be a bit busy for posting.
    Enjoy your christmas.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left you a message on my blog re your comment, I was going to email you with the answer but your email address does not want to work for me.
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my snowflakes
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having worked this pattern with four hole and two hole buttons it seems to make little difference what you use. The one on my blog at the moment is a four hole one. But can appreciate that it is not always easy to find the right button for the right pattern!

    ReplyDelete