Monday, September 9, 2013

A Flipping Novice Again

Oh goodness, my attempts to master the double double stitch resulted in metres of scrappy, knotted thread, just as when I was trying to master the double stitch, thirty five years ago! I've deleted my last post because what I was doing was entirely wrong, and I wouldn't like to lead anyone astray. I was on the right track in thinking that what I had to master was where to bring the shuttle back in the final movement of the stitch. I have it. It comes back through the same loop of shuttle thread as the first (normal) stitch movement.
The first part, as usual, under the chain thread and then through the shuttle thread loop.
Under the chain thread again and then back through THE SAME SHUTTLE THREAD LOOP.
Flip and snug up to the previous stitch.
The second half - over the chain thread and through the shuttle thread loop as usual, over the chain thread again and back through the same shuttle loop thread as before, then flip and snug up to the first half of the stitch. Voila!

The double double stitch or balanced double stitch can be used to make a long chain or large ring that won't twist and twirl.

We had a good trip westwards to see wild flowers around the town of Springbok in Namaqualand, South Africa, which were spectacular! We were lucky, there's no guarantee when and where the flowers will be in bloom. Here are a couple of photos:


2 comments:

  1. I will have to give this a try this can be useful many places or planning things where it would be nice to have no curve. I forget you live in Africa I use to live near a desert and for got how some years are better than others with blooms and how special it is to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's the contrast between the arid conditions and the beautiful flowers that is so spectacular.

      Delete