Wednesday, May 8, 2024

A Blast From The Past

 


This handspun cotton yarn was bought from me more than twenty years ago. It has been returned to me, with a request that I knit bedsocks with it. I wouldn't have spun it myself. At that time I employed a number of women who spun and knitted:






The photo is from an article I wrote for Spin Off magazine, Spring 2003. I did do the dyeing myself.

 I've been procrastinating about the bedsocks, but winter is rapidly approaching and I had better make a plan. The request was for ordinary socks, but long. Cotton lacks elasticity. I hope the length will prevent the socks falling off in the middle of the night. 

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn’t have thought cotton socks would be very warm either. Perhaps the length will help keep the tootsies warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use cotton for dishcloths, but I've never tried it for socks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look up bedsocks, to be honest. Cotton might not be too elastic, but maybe you can use a pattern that would make them more elastic? Like some ribbing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also unsure when she said bedsocks, because I have seen socks more like booties, with a tie. I did visualize using rib, but I rejected that idea, I’ll show why in the next post.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps the cotton bed socks are for year-round wear to cover one's feet after applying lotion, etc? Just a thought.
    Do you feel the need for at least one assistant now, to fulfill your current orders as demand is picking up?
    And how does it feel to work alone rather than employ others?
    I am again getting notifications, yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a very mild climate, so cotton socks should be enough in the winter and too much in summer. I have considered having an assistant, but there are advantages to working on my own.

      Delete