Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Lesson One And Yoyos

 Well, the first sewing lesson went pretty well. I told my young pupil that if he learnt to sew by hand, he'd be able to sew any time, without having to have access to a machine. He liked that idea, so we were off! He learnt running stitch and back stitch. I was impressed with how quickly he grasped the principle of back stitch. I found some fabric with dots on to act as a guide. Next week we'll try chain stitch. He liked the look of detached chain stitch, or lazy daisy. 

I 'inherited' a large bag of fabric scraps, along with the craft group job. I did the 'new broom' thing and threw half of it away - they were too small to be of use for anything. Some of the remaining scraps are also pretty small, but I thought they'd work for yoyos. I haven't made fabric yoyos before and it turned out to be less simple than I supposed. I read through this tutorial, which helped, but I had to experiment to decide on size and experience the various pitfalls. For instance, it's important to sew really close to the edge, otherwise the yoyo has a horrid lump in the middle. 


I sewed my yoyos to a circle of felt to make a mat to put my teapot on. There may be some craft group members who can't or don't want to make yoyos, so I made another, simpler version:


The next meeting is on Friday. 


7 comments:

  1. I'm sure your young pupil would also love to make a yo-yo, especially pulling the thread part!
    Small straps can used to make a collage - each unique. A possible craft idea to decorate each room?
    💚💙💜💙💚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collage with scraps - either sewn or glued

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did make notebook covers like that with fabric scraps, which worked well.

      Delete
  3. Your yo-yos look great! Every once in a while I get the urge to make them. I make one and I'm done. I guess I just don't have the knack for making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find that the type of fabric made a big difference. You need something lightweight and smooth.

      Delete
  4. Oh Yoyos, I am sure these were one of my first sewing lessons. I had a yoyo doll, stuffed head with hat but the arms and legs were yoyos by putting a string through the centers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We did those (Suffolk puffs) last year in our Tuesday group. I hated them!!!! No idea why but got no satisfaction out of making them. Perhaps I should’ve read your bit about stitching close to the edge as each of mine looked ‘pregnant’!!!!

    ReplyDelete