Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Jelly And Chutney

 



The guava tree has fruit on that is starting to ripen. The fruit is rather ugly, with horrid black spots. So I decided to make jelly rather than jam with them. I cooked up the fruit, without peeling them, left the pulp to drain through a dishcloth overnight and then cooked it up with sugar the next day. 

I cooked it a smidgeon longer than I should have, it's a bit stiff, but has a lovely colour and smell. Tastes fine too!


Yesterday I used this recipe to turn some of the tree tomatoes or tamarillos into chutney. I think it'll need to mature for a few weeks to bring out the full flavour. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'll have to look for the difference between jam and jelly. I always thought 'jelly' was the Americanism for 'jam' 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily! A jelly is clear, without bits of fruit in it.

      Delete
    2. The jams we get here don't necessarily have bits of fruit. Those are preserves (pieces), marmalades (with skin), conserves (I think consistency). This is my understanding.
      I looked it up and the differences in terms of consistency and clarity make more sense (to me).
      Learned something new 🥰

      Delete
  2. Yum! I don't think I've ever had guava. We don't use much jelly, jam, or preserves. It's probably been 30 years since I've made any... back when my girls had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch nearly ever day.

    ReplyDelete