Thursday, April 16, 2020

Influence

Whenever I do cross stitch, I think of my Gran. I first did cross stitch under her watchful eye when I was seven years old. I made two mats, one with a dog and a cat on it and the other with a butterfly. She was a prolific knitter and crocheter, as well as doing cross stitch and other embroidery. I still have and use some of her embroidered things, like this tray cloth:

Interestingly, Gran was my father's stepmother, so I can't say I inherited her love of craftwork. But her example and teaching have nevertheless influenced my life.

8 comments:

  1. I learned to tat with my gran who was herself learning. Some things stick with us all our lives. I’ve got a wee box of my gran’s tatting ‘bits’ which I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my Grandmother Jones sewing clothes for herself by hand, and my mom has done all sorts of beautiful fiber crafts. My sisters can both sew, but don't very often. My sister Lisa knits beautifully, but not often. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with how busy our lives have become?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not just in terms of time but also competing interests.

      Delete
  3. Pretty! :)
    Maybe you didn't inherit it, but it looks like it was lovingly passed along to you!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inheritance not through genes, but through close bonding :-) Beautiful tray cloth and isn't it wonderful that it has lasted so long!
    I have an embroidery book from my grandmother which she saved and gifted especially to me.
    Checked out your previous posts - Love your cross stitch frieze!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've often wondered if "inheriting" an interest skips a generation on purpose. My mother's Aunt tried to teach me knitting and crochet. I....failed....but the book had a section on tatting. I succeeded! I often wonder if she ever tatted. I'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it’s interesting that skills often skip a generation. It’s a shame you won’t know for sure, but the link is there anyway.

      Delete