this tutorial. It's a little different to how I've done short rows before, which is fine, I like to try out new techniques. But it took me several attempts to get right. The first time I turned at 'the gap' on the second half of the heel, as per the instructions. But it wasn't always easy to see exactly where the gap was and I got into a muddle. I started again and counted stitches on each row which helped me keep track better.
I finished the second version and tried the sock on.
That's clearly absurd. I'd obviously reduced to too few stitches, so instead of fitting my heel, the sock had was a silly little point on it. I started over again, knitting fewer rows.
Better. And as you can see on the top picture, the heel is neat. Now to repeat the short row process for the toes and make another sock the same.