Wanda's Queens Crown Edging. I don't want to do all row 1 and then all row 2, so I do two paired shuttles worth of row 1 and then one paired shuttles worth of row 2. That works well. What's it for? It's an edging for a skirt that I haven't sewn yet. It's a bit odd to do the edging before the skirt exists, but I wanted to try Wanda's pattern and the sewing mood hasn't struck yet.
All six ducklings are fine this morning, so that's good.
Friday, February 27, 2015
I didn't write yesterday because we had traipsed off to a non-existent yarn festival. Non-existent because it takes place in March, not February! Daft isn't the word for me. I have duly amended the post I wrote last week about the upcoming festival.
Two of the little ducks are looking unhappy this morning. Jack has given them a dose of antibiotic, so I hope that will do the trick in making them feel better.
Wednesday, February 25, 2015
blue wool on the last pair of socks I knitted, I wanted to be sure I had enough red wool to knit Sandra Jager's Red dragons. I knitted this swatch, then unravelled it and measured how much wool it took so that I could see if I have enough wool. I do. Originally I planned to just knit dragons around the top of the socks, but I've decided to put red dragons around the top of each sock and black dragons on the rest. Once again I'm using handspun wool in combination with commercial sock wool. This colour red is difficult to dye, so I'm happy to have a little ball in my stash.
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
blog. The pattern is very clear, with a written explanation and charts. It's a clever pattern which uses two shuttles to go this way and that. In the top example I used size 40 thread. The lower one uses Anchor Freccia size 12, which is like a size 10. I have to keep my wits about me in tatting this. I've discovered that Freccia stands up to opening rings quite fine! I haven't blocked either of these. Thanks Wanda, an interesting pattern.
Sunday, February 22, 2015
I read recently in a local newspaper about a yarn festival that is coming up this week, from the 25th to the 28th March. Most festivals I hear about are in major cities, much too far away for me to go to, but this one is in Klerksdorp, a mere three hours drive from me. It sounds very interesting, with handspun wools, felt et cetera on display and workshops in knitting, crochet, felting etc. I'm not planning to take any courses, but I do hope to go and take a look. Anyone who is interested in finding out more can contact Petro Nel, her e-mail address is email@example.com
Friday, February 20, 2015
We needed to clean out their home yesterday. Jack joked that we'd have to put them in the bath. I said that was a good idea because the bath is easy to clean. So into the bath they went, for the short time it took to clean their crate:
Thursday, February 19, 2015
Wednesday, February 18, 2015
Tuesday, February 17, 2015
I submitted my traditional doily for the local level competition, but not the Under an African Sky doily. I'll see if I can get the latter exhibited as an example of modern tatting at the national competition later in the year, though quite how I'll achieve that I don't know.
Monday, February 16, 2015
I'm working the sock inside out, as I did the giraffe socks, so that I won't pull the floats too tight. I also followed another of Terry Morris's tips and tried them on to make sure that they would go over my heel. I've positioned the sock heel so that there will be a whole spiral going down the top of the foot:
Friday, February 13, 2015
Thursday, February 12, 2015
When I saw Catherine Devine's celtic spiral socks on Ravelry, I had to download the pattern. Actually, the pattern isn't given, just the chart. That's fine, I'll adapt my usual sock pattern to suit the chart. The swatch is the first step so that I can see how the fairisle pattern knits up and work out how many stitches to use for the sock.
Wednesday, February 11, 2015
I was given this kit as a gift Christmas 2013. It has sat around for a while, so I thought it was time I gave it a go. The kit comes with the chameleon applique pieces sewn to the backing, then a selection of ric rac, threads etc and an instruction page. The intention is that you 'do your own thing', so the instructions are fairly minimal.
I've made a start and it's going along more quickly than I expected:
Monday, February 9, 2015
first attempt at these socks as a practice run. I spun some more wool and started from scratch. The pattern is by Wenche S Roald. The pattern looks to be written in a Scandanavian language. Perhaps there was an English version on Ravelry, but it didn't really matter, I used the charts and my usual sock pattern.
I like the flower on the heel. I saw quite a few patterns like that when I was searching Ravelry. I know the motif might be hidden under a shoe, but the wearer would still know it was there.