Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Experimenting

 


I was asked if I could produce a black yarn with flecks of white.  Hmm. I'll have to give it some thought. After considering various options, I thought the best way would be to 'tie/dye' the skein.  I experimented using a skein left over from another project, rather than try on a whole batch. First I tied, quite tightly, using a thick cotton, since cotton won't take a wool dye:


And then dyed it. The colour is darker than it appears here, though not as dark as I'd like the final product to be. When the skein was dry, I took the cotton ties off:

And rolled it into a ball for knitting:

The customer says that's just what she was looking for, so that's fine. I have another order to complete and then I'll spin yarn for this order. 

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there are different dyes for cotton and wool. I learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I changed from spinning mohair and wool to spinning cotton, I had to buy a whole new set of dyes and learn an entirely different process!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know about the different dyes either. Your experiment definitely looks successful! And now you can try this with various colours. 💜💙💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are being kept really busy lately!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. Which is good. I have a big sewing order to do too. And puppets to make.

      Delete