Wednesday, July 27, 2022

From The Garden

 


We got the first egg yesterday.  Hopefully it'll be the first of many from our five little hens. 

The pansies that I bought at the market a couple of months ago are flowering beautifully. They turn out to be difficult to photograph, but here are a few attempts:





The petunias are still flowering madly too. 

Jack has a good crop of cherry tomatoes. I wasn't sure what to do with them, other than put them in salads, so I had a look on Pinterest. I found several recipes for roasted cherry tomatoes that are bottled in oil. I read all the recipes and took bits from them to create my own. 



There was a bit more than one jar, so I put the excess onto toast for lunch. The roasting really concentrates the flavour of the tomatoes - delicious. 


I made gooseberry jam this morning, using Cape gooseberries from the garden. It is still hot, so I haven't yet labelled the jars. 


And we had strawberries on our porridge for breakfast. 

13 comments:

  1. It looks like you have some wonderful foods from your garden! Our garden has not done well this year. So far, we've only had one tomato. A groundhog ate all of our broccoli and lettuce. Storms knocked down our sweet corn, but we're hoping to get at least a few ears for meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering, Jane. Love fruit and veg. I’m not vegetarian as we do have meat from time to time but not a lot. The flowers are so pretty too. My garden is mainly dead thanks to a very dry spell. We’re heading for a drought, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot and dry there I gather, not good for gardens!

      Delete
  3. Ooo such a bounty!!! Good that you get to enjoy the fruit of your labour. Our first 2 lemons are finally turning yellow! After 8 months or thereabouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done. Our lemon tree looks to have died.

      Delete
  4. Never been a fan of gooseberries. I know that's because I haven't eaten them cooked in a good recipe. Wish we could swap jams...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. That implies that I cook well enough to follow your recipe. So, my secret's out: I don't cook well. :)

      Delete
  6. YUM! I'm somewhat jealous - but I live in a condo and have a black thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so much lovely produce, it will be nice to have some on hand when they've finished in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your garden produce is wonderful, you certainly make the most of your garden. looks yummy, love the pansies, mine are flowering well too at the moment

    ReplyDelete