Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Butterflies

My cousin gave me these butterflies.  They do make one think of tatting, don't they? I considered tatting around them, but the outside margin is quite wide, I don't think it'll look good. Instead I thought of tatting a butterfly and then joining it to the plastic butterfly with a chain of Victorian sets.  Here's the first one:
I'm pleased with how it turned out, I think it'll work as a bookmark. The butterfly was designed by Grace Tan. The pattern is here. I saw it yesterday on Marja's blog, here. I like Marja's two-colour version, but I worked in one colour so that I could change the way the chains were facing by swapping shuttles, though Grace uses a different method. I used CWJ, as per version 2, but a split ring head, as per version 1.

7 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I see little tatted motifs in the one from your cousin. Can you imagine how much time it would take to replicate it in tatting? It would be a fun challenge, though... if only there were more hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely butterflies!!! They can really be converted to tatting using odd florets and a narrow/regular chain margin.
    I've been working on a snowflake filled with freeform flowers -- halfway tatted and happy so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how pretty! I found a batch of snowflakes stamped out of soft plastic/rubber material. I too thought I'd tat around them. It only looked pleasing to me in size 3 thread. Maybe that will be the gift for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great version of the butterfly pattern, beautiful bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it too, and a good idea to make bookmarks. I always think it's such a shame to hide beautiful tatting in books, and prefer this style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun. The plastic butterfly and tatting look very nice together! Grace Tan has lovely patterns.

    ReplyDelete