Thursday, September 27, 2018

Playing With Butterflies

I've been using scraps of thread to tat Ninetta's butterfly. For the white one, I took a technique from Jane Eborall's SCMR butterfly and used a split ring to make the head, so that the ends could be snipped for the antennae and don't have to be hidden. They look rather scruffy, I probably need more practice before I attempt Ninetta's pattern, but it's a start.

By the way, I wind thread left over on shuttles onto bread bag ties to use for such experiments:
I also followed Ninetta's links on this post to learn how to make a wide picot:
Clever! I managed to grasp it more quickly than I grasped treble tatting, hooray.

10 comments:

  1. Not wide off the mark 😄😉 Your playfulness has yielded good results 👍💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save all the bread clips too! Jars and jars full of them which my three year old granddaughter likes to play with. She sorts colours. I haven't seen the wide picots before, I must find the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save all the bread clips too! Jars and jars full of them which my three year old granddaughter likes to play with. She sorts colours. I haven't seen the wide picots before, I must find the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice butterflies!! :)
    Interesting idea for keeping the extra thread!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I thought I had tatting down. Now we have all these Knotty Inventors! Actually, I'm glad there is experimentation. (But, it dents my ego. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bread tie just made me smile! For some reason I started hoarding them because they just seemed to pop up in weird places so I started keeping them...maybe now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In South Africa they can be donated to be recycled into wheelchairs, I need to do that instead of winding thread onto them!

      Delete
  7. Thank you very much for showing your experiments, I hope also your beautiful tatting helps to spread the word :-) The wide picot was invented 13 years ago, fingers crossed tatters in the era of social networks would learn faster and a lot more than how to do one double stitch! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hooray for the internet that enables us to learn new techniques.

      Delete