Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Planning The Next Blanket


The next blanket is for my youngest grandchild, Annika. I've seen several examples on Pinterest of blankets made with asymmetrical granny squares. I'm not sure about the terminology: they seem to be called mitred squares, but mitred squares also refers to another sort of square where decreases are made in the middle, similar to a mitred corner in sewing. I found this example by marrietta.ru which has a chart and, importantly for me, a photo showing the different stages of making the square. It took me a few goes, using scraps, to get a square that looked right - it's not as simple as it seems! I think that a blanket will look best if I use the same colours throughout, rather than my usual practice of using an array of colours. So I deconstructed the square, wound the yarn onto my niddy noddy and worked out how much of each colour I'll need to make 117 squares, the number I used for the flower garden blanket. Right. So now I have a lot of spinning ahead of me before I can start crocheting the blanket.

15 comments:

  1. this is the first time I've seen one of these squares, they do not seem to be in any of my books. Lovely, might have a go at one.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty square! I can't wait to see how this turns out overall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the offset placement of the flower. Imagine all the variations you can make depending on the orientation of the squares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I've seen some very clever arrangements on Pinterest.

      Delete
  4. I grew up making and see tons of what we called "granny squares" but this new twist of of setting the center to make a flower is fantastic I am going to ad this to my Pinterest 💟

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's an interesting idea. May have to try that myself - sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great design and I just know since you are making it that it will be fabulous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks a fabulous design and will be a beautiful blanket when finished

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those mitred square type patterns are absolute murder! I never could get the hang of them...I love the one you are doing - very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the asymmetric granny. I haven't seen that before either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane Dear you do crochet the most lovely squares...no matter what they are called. I adore the name Annika and her blanket will be hand crafted with true love by you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this pattern idea, it would give lots of different ways of fitting them in lots of combinations

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had seen that pattern in my Pinter estate feed and I always thought of you, so I am thrilled to see you take it up. I have no doubt that you will select some wonderful colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, I have this pinned in my board, too ! Lovely choice. Waiting to see your colour choice now :-)

    ReplyDelete