Monday, October 16, 2017

Mission Accomplished

I set out to make a magic square that was bigger than Robin Perfetti's diagram.  On my first attempt, I turned right when I should've turned left and finished up with a square that was exactly the same as the diagram. Nice, but no cigar. I decided to have another go, and this time I got it right. This is tatted in one pass so that there are only two threads at the end to sew in:
Of course there were ends when I refilled shuttles as I went along, but those ends could be encapsulated.

There were several times while tatting this that I was convinced I had gone completely astray. I hadn't. Eventually I found that the best way of working was to keep my eyes firmly on the diagram, rather than the work itself. Do not stop periodically to admire your progress, Jane, that causes confusion!

One interesting point about the diagram is that is was computer-generated. Robin hasn't tatted the whole diagram herself. I'm here to say that it works like a charm. Thanks Robin.

I used size 40 thread to tat this, it measures almost 30 cm across.

22 comments:

  1. That's so, so stunning. Congratulations. I am very tempted to try this myself but I think I'd need sat nav to do it. Anybody 'out there' willing to write sat nav software to help an old git?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing! - and I think Robin is going to be thrilled to see your work. I wonder whether little bits of coloured thread tied in appropriate places would help with direction of tatting? - if I were EVER to attempt this, I think I would need to mark every stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent, Jane!!! Extraordinary!!
    Katie V in NC USA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowie! This is just amazing and just those two ends! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks magnificent Jane! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An awesome work of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Jane! You can really see the "inverted" square here (something I didn't realize was an option at the time of writing the Mary Konior magic square blog post).

    Funny, I actually struggle to follow the diagram when the squares get to be too big. For me, stopping and admiring provides an opportunity to take a good look at the lines of symmetry, which is how I keep my place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing work! I've only tatted the small magic square so far. I'm hoping to tat a bigger one and your picture is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's brilliant, well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW ! And you are actually faster than the designer herself ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work is incredible! I get mixed up just reviewing the instructions for a magic square. Your completed mat (?) is magnificent. Stunning! Bellissima!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is beautiful Jane! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's marvellous Jane. Without a doubt a future heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks very much for all the wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete