Saturday, October 21, 2017

Crochet Rag Rug

I have Pinterest on my phone and peruse it in odd moments - while the kettle comes to the boil or waiting outside the co-op for Jack to finish his shopping. On Wednesday I came across a tutorial for making a crocheted rag rug. Hmm. An idea for making a mat for the veranda perhaps. An owl sits on the light above our front door some nights. I quite like the idea of an owl sitting there, but it is a messy creature that has ruined the mat.

I looked through my materials and found a green sheet that is past its use-by date and a couple of strips of beige curtaining left over from a project. My biggest crochet hook is 6 mm, so I didn't think the 1.5 inch strips in the tutorial were going to work. I crocheted some samples and decided on 1.5 cm for the beige and 1 cm for the green sheeting. The tutorial says to sew the strips together in preference to knotting them. I did that for the beige, but it's not really practical to sew 1 cm strips together, so I just knotted them.
And began to crochet. The beige was much easier to work with. The sheeting was surprisingly stiff, which rather puts me off the technique.  But the mat is complete and an old sheet recycled.

10 comments:

  1. Clever to use sheets. I've used old t-shirts cut into strips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too like the sheets idea, my sisterinlaw used to make rugs and baskets too. She surched for fabric butts she called them from fabric mills the strips were cut off off the long bults of fabric at the mills and she lucked out rarely needing to connect them but would tie them when she did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea - both useful and re-purposed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a rag rug, at least it can be washed when the owl messes it up, and a useful use for the old sheet.
    I hear an owl some nights, Owls are becoming a rare sight in my part of the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long time ago I crocheted a rag rug. I remember how hard it was. Your rag rug is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You amaze me; all the different and unusual projects you do...

    ReplyDelete