Monday, February 29, 2016

Travel Tatting

Getting from here to Perth in Australia involves a lot of waiting about in airports. Being a fidget-fingers, I need something to do while I wait. I pondered for quite a while about what it should be. I have yarn to knit myself a cardigan, which I'd like to do before Winter. I'm sure a circular needle with plastic tips would pass through airport security. But it would be a bulky project to carry along. I decided that tatting would be a better idea. An edging or braid - one row only, no corners, so I can just go on and on. Mary Konior's Curds and Whey should fit the bill. I tatted a small sample, using Olympus size 40 thread.
I like it. So I wound two shuttles full of the thread. These are not my favourite shuttles, but they hold a lot of thread. I made a start to memorise the pattern and snip the starting thread (no scissors on the aeroplane!).
It all fits very well into Wendy's gift bag to make a good take-along project.
I'll be leaving early tomorrow and away for three weeks, so it'll be close to the end of March before I write this blog again and catch up on other blogs. Happy tatting to you all.

19 comments:

  1. Have a safe journey and a good flight. That edging is going to be so long by the time you return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe journey and have a wonderful time in Oz. I'll miss seeing what you're up to each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful visit and safe travels! I'll miss reading posts from you, but somehow I'll survive. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe journey & pleasant stay. We'll miss you for sure. That is a lovely edging to while the time away ("tatting her curds & whey" ;-P)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe and fun travels! The curds and whey are so pretty in the thread you've chosen! We'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time in Australia. Hope you get plenty of tatting done whilst you are away - enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your edging is beautiful already!!! :)
    Have a safe and wonderful trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw this pattern and with all your fabulous knitting I thought you might like this and it will look wonderful if you make it!! :)
      http://www.knitculture.com/our-blog/free-pattern-easy-trellis-lace-scarf/

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your time in Australia, happy tatting to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what joy! Enjoying family and especially grandchildren, and a lovely pattern to tat during the waiting. Look forward to hearing all about it in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful trip. The edging is already beautiful. I hope you enjoy everything from beginning to end of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Curds & Whey - it's so pretty, can be used as an edging or a bookmark or earrings....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty Curds and Whey in that colour way. I love one-shuttle edgings for a change. Wishing you a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bon voyage! Have fun! Love the edging - one of my faves. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful tatting. Safe travels to Oz and enjoy your time in Perth :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Safe Journey, Dental Floss holder can cut a thread if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish you well for your trip, the tatting is just the job, it is small enough to fit into any bag.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back, Jane :-)
    Hope you had a pleasant & refreshing stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did! Just getting my act together, will write tomorrow.

      Delete