Monday, November 6, 2023

Experimenting (once the sock was finished!)

 


I've been saving the second sock for when I wanted easy knitting. For instance, sitting in the car waiting for Jack to buy chicken food. But eventually I got fed up and just wanted the pair finished. I put some time in yesterday and got it done. That freed up my needles to try an experiment. 

I get regular Interweave newsletters, one about crochet and one about knitting. Recently there was a post on the knitting version about Ladderback Jacquard. The headline promised to explain it, but the article left me not much wiser, and in retrospect I realise that even the main picture doesn't show ladderback jacquard! However, it did arouse my curiosity and I googled it. Hmm, I'll have to give it a try. 




I used a tutorial from Knit Darling.  It has a video and a written explanation, which I found helpful - I could watch the video to understand and then just follow the written version as I tried it out. It's easier worked in the round, so I cast on a little tube of 30 stitches. It's a way of managing long floats at the back of the work. The interweave article mentioned that it could be used to knit a sort of intarsia in the round. I'm wondering if I can use it to knit motifs on socks. Hmmm. 

4 comments:

  1. Interesting... that's not something I've read about before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the links, Jane. I will be following those later. Glad you got the second sock syndrome disposed of!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried colourwork yet, but I've heard floats can be a nuisance in both crochet and knitting. This looks like a very useful technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great that you got your other sock done!! :)

    ReplyDelete