Monday, November 28, 2022

Peach Chutney

 


A friend gave me a big bowl of peaches last week, too many for us to eat fresh. I have plenty of jam in the cupboard, but not so much chutney, so I went on the hunt for a peach chutney recipe. I found this one  that I had most of the ingredients for. I used dried cape gooseberries instead of dried cranberries. The peaches were tasty and juicy, but too small to make peeling them viable. It didn't seem to make any difference to the final product, so I may forego peeling in future! 


I use the top of a plastic bottle when filling jars; it has a wider mouth than any funnel I've been able to buy, and helps keep the top of the jar clean:


I finished up with five full jars and a little bit for tasting:




4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Will check out the recipe and wait for summer 😍
    I've been meaning to ask you a Q. Is it okay to refrigerate strawberry preserve (with whole berries)? It was a new jar but kept getting a layer of fungi. For now I have skimmed off the top layer and refrigerated it, but am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, absolutely, I always refrigerate such things once they're open.

      Delete
    2. Oh, will follow this tip henceforth. So far I've never had to refrigerate jams or preserves. Thanks 🥰

      Delete
    3. In theory you shouldn't have to, but a lot of commercial jams and preserves say refrigerate after opening.

      Delete