Saturday, July 6, 2019

Pay Attention!

Jane Eborall is right, round 20 is interesting to tat. Which means that it requires attention! I tatted away merrily this morning before noticing that I started my tatting session in the wrong place, I left off a chain and ring:
I know there are tatters who would undo all the work they'd done, but that's not me. I couldn't use the trick of cutting rings not chains because both shuttles had been used to tat rings. I cut off everything to the mistake, but didn't want to have to hide four threads when I started off again. So I used another trick I read somewhere on the internet. I tied the threads of the two shuttles together
Then I wound some thread from the pink shuttle onto the grey one, so that the knot was further along. With a 'false CTM', I started again, hiding the two cut off threads, one in a ring and one in the following chain. I tatted along until I reached the knot. I had to cut and rejoin it, to put it in a convenient spot, but then I could hide the new ends, one in a ring and one in a chain.
Threads are hidden in the ring on the left of the picture and the one on the right, but I think they're pretty discreet! Now to proceed without mistakes. I've set myself a quota of three repeats a day, which will give me two weeks to complete the round.

13 comments:

  1. Interesting way to add in new thread with four ends to hide. I make sure that I’ve got enough when snipping to undo the last ring and/or chain so that I’ve got enough thread to re-tat them again (tying to the shuttles or finger tatting). Then I add in the new threads in my haphazard way which requires no knots at all!!! I must try this way, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your term " false ctm" !!! I've done this (without any knot) for the last year or so, pulling out a thread length, sometimes enough to tat a chain till I reach a ring where I add the new thread. All tails get tatted over in different elements.
    I shared this as an alternative in one of the recent snowflakes. I'm going to use your term henceforth and also add your link to my Resources page. 🌹🌹🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the I always do it. To me it's the easiest. I still have to hide them in the end and I always forget that other trick with the what, magic looper. That dental floss thing.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, all ends are invisible 👍🥰

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a good idea to hide the knot a bit further into the shuttle! It's always cumbersome having to deal with threa ends in the same place as you join. I'm so glad I visited your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a tatter also includes being devious! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great 💐 and thanks for the heads up. I had family was in town and just left so I haven't got started yet so love the tips😅💐😳

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its happen to us all I am sure, yes I have done that trick many times over the years, certainly saves cutting it all off and starting again. Looking good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tip, thanks! I like the term false CTM, I'll add it to my tatting dictionary :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that false CTM and use it sometimes at the start of a project so I can add the thread at the 2nd or third ring. It looks soo good, I have fallen behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a good idea, so the end threads are not hidden in the same place as the start threads.

      Delete