An account of the craftwork I get up to, tatting, spinning, knitting, sewing, whatever
Friday, November 2, 2018
After more head scratching and a couple more trials, I came up with a way to construct my glasses case. Felt works much better than stiffener to reinforce it. The answer was to cut the felt 1 cm smaller than the finished fabric size all round, to create a sort of gusset. This made it much easier to manipulate the pieces. I also ditched the boning at the top that Corlie had suggested. It didn't really work to keep the case closed and made it very difficult to get a neat finish. Instead, I sewed on a button and worked a loop:
I made the lining shorter than the fabric, so that the fabric would fold down:
Don't tell anyone, but after all that, I realised that I had put the embroidery upside down! There's no way I'm going to redo it, so it has to remain as an homage to imperfection.