Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Brown

 


I'm working on a pair of brown socks for a man. I use two skeins for a woman's sock, and wasn't sure how much extra a man's sock would need, so I spun four skeins. I mixed yellow, blue and red dyes to get brown, put the skeins into the dye bath and it looked more beige than brown. So I hauled the skeins out, added more dye and then put them back. Whether it was because of that, or because the dye bath is a bit small for four skeins, the dyeing came out very uneven. The skeins looked horrible, frankly:


But knitted up, it looks fine, I think. I rather like it. You can see in the top picture that the sock looks 'brown' without the variations being obvious.  Here's a close up:


Phew.  I think that three skeins will be fine, so dyeing for the next pair for the order will be a little easier.


2 comments: