Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Beaded Crochet Rope

I know, I know, I don't need another craft in my life. But I've been wanting to try beaded crochet ropes for some time. At the weekend, I found a tutorial and gave it a go.
First I strung a small amount of beads onto Cebelia size 10 thread and began. Aha, I can do this. So I loaded more beads for another go. I did alright until I had to stop and put it down. When I came back to it, I'd lost my rhythm and I think I missed a stitch. So I thought a simple colour pattern might be easier to keep track of. The beads are strung onto the thread in reverse order:
Then you just crochet round and round, adding a bead to each stitch. I worked a short length, then found another tutorial for joining in a thread and carried on until I ran out of white beads. I added a press stud to each end, an idea I saw somewhere on Pinterest, and voila, I have a beaded choker.

I have an idea I could combine this technique with beaded tatted pendants perhaps. I think I'd have to work with smaller beads though and for that I need more practice.

7 comments:

  1. So impressed, looks great, but so many beads! A few years ago I was given a pattern for decorating a Christmas bauble by stringing beads onto cotton, but really cannot get inspired to try it. So well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I've wanted to learn to do that as well. I know I have some beads around here somewhere. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. O Wow ! Even more spectacular than the final piece, is the patient stringing of all those beads in colour-order ! Looks great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! And probably much faster than beading by hand, which I've done in the past. Takes ages. Pairing it with beaded tatted pendants is a super idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your crocheted beaded ropes are wonderful. My Grandma used to make these. Another craft I didn't take time to learn from her. Well done dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do like the effect, Well Done.

    ReplyDelete