Monday, May 7, 2012

Where the heel will go


See that line of pink stitches with pink wool dangling from it? When I have finished knitting the toes of the sock, I will come back to those pink stitches and remove them. That will leave loops on either side of the row, which I will pick up with double pointed needles. Then I will knit an 'afterthought' heel.

The stitch I have used here is called Little Arrows, from a pattern by Susan Brugger, though I have adapted it to my own sock pattern. I like the way the  textured pattern muddles up the colours of the wool. On the plain part at the bottom of the foot, the colours appear as much more obvious stripes

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of an 'afterthought' heel before. SUCH wonderful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theory is that when the heel wears out, it can easily be replaced. I can't imagine actually getting around to that, but I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these easy heels... I think there is one called an Aladdin heel that I have also done, rather like this one...
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete