Monday, August 5, 2024

Waffling

 I sold six puppets at the market on Saturday. I'll need to refill the puppet basket before the next market, in a month's time. I didn't sell any knitwear, which wasn't surprising because our weather is warming up rapidly. 

I finished crocheting my waffle stitch knee rug:


I really enjoyed making it, it's perfect for working at a knit'n'natter session, or at the market. So I thought I'd make another one. I bought some yarn on Friday, called Carnival, 80% acrylic and 20% wool, made in Turkey. 


It turns out to be a really bad choice for the job! The short, high contrast colour changes give a scrambled look that shows off neither the waffle stitch nor the yarn to advantage. I talked to the owner of the yarn shop at the market on Saturday and she said the yarn looks better knitted. I considered knitting a cardigan instead, but the wool is quite harsh to the touch, so I don't think it'll make a comfortable garment. I've decided to carry on regardless:




6 comments:

  1. Great job!!! The strips I had crocheted years back are still lying as UFOs, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to do so much, I think you wear me out just reading about it all. ;)
    Your knee rug looks great!! :)
    Even if the 2nd one doesn't show the design it should be nice to use! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame the yarn didn't turn out as well as you hoped. In the photo the waffle pattern looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting thought that knitting the garment, rather than crochet, would make such a difference with a variegated. Something to think about when planning what thread to use for a tatting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, variegated thread definitely works better with some tatting than others.

      Delete