Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Ten Years Later

 


The sheets that I sewed ten years ago have collapsed in a heap. I bought a set of sheets and pillowcases in 100% cotton. I like the idea of 100% cotton, but when I washed them, they were wrinkled and clearly in need of ironing. Hmm. My life is too short to iron sheets. So I bought polycotton fabric and sewed my own. It took a bit of time and effort, of course, but will save me both in the long run. The fabric cost about half what the bought set cost; I think that even with my labour I'm ahead financially. 

Oops, make that eleven and a half years later. 

3 comments:

  1. You are clever!! Sewing to save money doesn't seem to happen for me. I tend to pick expensive material and then complicate what I sew. Sigh!
    Oh, and we use cotton flannel sheets to save on ironing. They are just as cool as percale blends for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine sewing my own sheets. If I tried it would be my luck that I would have fabric that pilled instead of wrinkled, which would be worse!

    In the US there is a product called Downy Wrinkle Release which is a spray that also has a bonus of making fabric smell wonderful, and I'm not sure if there is a UK equivalent but it might allow you to use your cotton sheets.

    I discovered it when my now 24-year-old daughter was learning to walk and pulling up on everything, including the ironing board. She was curious like a cat, and I think that this probably kept her from pulling the iron down on her many times.

    ReplyDelete