Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Case for Shuttle Joins

The book says to use Teiko Fujito's outer thread joining method for the dense rosette in the centre. The good thing is that there are no colour blips. The bad thing is that the tension is continuous; pull the shuttle thread too tight and you get a mess like this:
With shuttle joins, the tension in each section can be controlled. To avoid bright pink colour blips, I tatted just one round with pink and then used the pastel variegated thread on shuttle and ball. Once that was sorted out, this motif was pretty straight forward. I like the way it turned out.

7 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - one instance, I suppose, where a Dora Young join wouldn't have been the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with the outer thread joining method, but if it can cause a tension problem, I think I'd rather join as you did! Your piece is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome!!!!! :) Love the colors too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors of the thread and you did a great job tatting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one speedy tatter, Jane! This one is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete