Wednesday, January 22, 2014
here, I was never really happy with my patchwork shopping bag in Tunisian crochet. I procrastinated, for months. Just before Christmas, I decided I would buy some more cotton yarn to use as a main colour and try to make something more unified. My timing was bad because the only shop in town that stocks cotton yarn was closed for the holidays. Eventually it reopened. There wasn't a lot of cotton in stock (because knitting is out of season, I was told) but I bought black and turquoise and off I went. It wasn't until I got home that I realised the yarn is double knitting thickness, whereas the rest of my yarn is 4-ply. I experimented and decided I could use the thicker yarn for the background and 4-ply for the flowers. But... my crochet hook was too small for the double knit yarn. Tunisian crochet is very dense anyway, so using a small needle made the fabric much too stiff. I had to wait for another trip to town before I could look for a bigger needle. This week I found one. At last I can get going in the new direction. Time is running short - my shopping bag must be complete by the 14th February. I had better go and get on with it.