Saturday, July 8, 2017

Recycling Magic

There were interesting comments on my earlier post about turning plastic bags into plarn. Some referred to ways of using plarn - sleeping mats, shopping bags... Stringy Dogs commented that there is a way of cutting bags so that they form a single big circle, rather than a lot of little circles. She didn't give any details. But I remembered a 'magic trick' that we used to do as children, folding and cutting a piece of paper in such a way that it opened into a big circle that could be put over your head. Several bags and pieces of paper later, it was clear that I had forgotten how to do it! I looked up on the internet and found this post. Aha. So I cut the bottom and handles off a bag, then cut one side open, so I had a single, folded piece, and cut from this side and that:
The middle bit on each 'pair' has to be cut, (except the first and last!) otherwise you get a concertina shape:
And then it can be opened up into a big circle:
It's a bit jagged and I'm not sure it's the most practical way to cut the bag. And it's probably not what Stringy Dogs was thinking of! But there you go, it's possible.

15 comments:

  1. When you get a bee in your bonnet you really get to grips with it!!! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I've always hesitated using plarn because of the (way too) numerous joins. Thanks:)
    I think that even the "concertina shape" would be great to make less bulky plarn. That's good, I need a new beach tote :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's another method called 'spiral cutting'. Google plarn and you should find it.

      Delete
    2. Did, found, liked :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I've seen several times over the years and have been tempted to try it. I'll be following along with you to see what you make with it! Maybe this will be the tipping point for me to try it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane, I didn't expect to get famous! I googled the technique I mentioned and here it is on the fewest pages: https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-plarn-2117354
    I've made a bunch of bags over the years and a couple of "rugs". I don't recommend the rugs. They are very slippery.
    Love your blog,
    Linda R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for the link, I'll have to try that. As Jane said, I got a bee in my bonnet about trying my childhood magic trick! In truth, I don't think it's really practical.

      Delete
  5. I missed your earlier post. Good thinking!
    I remember trying this technique out with an old T- shirt many years back. Can't remember the source, but Google should throw up links for 'how to make yarn with old t shirts'. I had an idea to crochet a rug with it, but it didn't get far ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had an uncle that made many formats with large crochet hooks

    ReplyDelete